水渍险呢?
W.P.A. has a broader coverage1. It covers everything in F.P.A. plus partial loss caused by natural calamities2.
水渍险范围广一些,除去平安险的范围外,还包含自然灾害引起的部分损失。
And All Risks?
那样所有险呢?
All Risks means WPA plus additional risks, or extraneous3 risks, risks not incidental to transport by sea.
所有险就是水渍险加上附加险,附加险即不是因为海上运输本身的特质所带来的风险。
incidental :作表语
~ (to sth) liable to occur because of sth or in connection with sth 易随着发生; 因有关而产生:
* the risks that are incidental to exploration 探险时容易遇见的危险
* additional responsibilities that are incidental to the job 做这项工作要承担的额外责任
I see. Now, for this particular article, what risks do you usually cover?
我了解了。那样大家这批货,你们一般投保什么险呢?
I have to say that I know every little about this clause. Can you explain it a little?。
我得说我对这个条约知道极少。你能否讲解一下?
clause: paragraph or section in a legal document (eg a will, contract or treaty) stating a particular obligation, condition, etc (在法律文件如遗嘱、 合同或条款中, 陈述具体义务、 条件等的)段落或章节; 条约:
* There is a clause in the contract forbidding tenants4 to sublet5. 合同中列有条约, 禁止承租人转租。
OK.OMCC provides coverage of three basic, some additional risks and some special additional risks.
好的。《海洋运输货物保险条约》承保三种基本险、一些附加险和一些特殊附加险。
The three basic risks are Free from Particular Average (F.P.A.), With Particular Averaged (W.P.A.) and All Risks (A.R.)。
这三种基本险是平安险、水渍险和所有险。
What do they mean respectively?
它们分别的意思是?
Well, roughly speaking, F.P.A. covers total loss resulting from both natural calamities and accidents, and partial loss caused by accidents.
大体上说,平安险包含自然灾害和意料之外事故导致的全部损失和意料之外事故导致的部分损失。
calamity6 / kэl'жmэti; kэ`lжmэti/ n serious misfortune or disaster 灾祸; 灾难:
* The earthquake was the worst calamity in the country's history. 那次地震是全国有史以来最紧急的灾难。
* (joc 谑) There are worse calamities than failing your driving test.
比起你驾驶考试不合格来讲, 更大的灾难还多着呢。
calamitous7 / kэ'lжmitэs; kэ`lжmэtэs/ adj ~ (to sb/sth) involving or causing a calamity; disastrous8 受灾的; 导致灾害的; 灾难的。
I'm afraid Im not in a position to give you an answer. I'll have to consult our head office.
恐怕我无权给你回话,我得和大家总公司联系一下。
Well, my head office says the best we can do is to accept 60 days L/C.
总公司说大家最多只能同意60天信用证。
60 days? Thats all right.
60天?好吧。
But we wish to point out that it is only with a view to encouraging future deals with you that we are accommodating you this time.
但大家想指出的是,大家只不过为了鼓励以后的买卖才给你这个通融的。
We always insure our goods with the People's Insurance Company of China as per their Ocean Marine9 Cargo10 Clause, Jan.1, 1981 revision.
大家一直根据中国人民保险公司1981年1月1日的《海洋运输货物保险条约》向他们投保。
I understand your position. But at the moment, I do have some difficulty.
我理解你。但现在我确实有困难。
I would like to bend the rules a little if possible.
假如可能的话,我是想通融一下的。
bend the `rules: (idm) change or interpret the rules, laws, etc in a way that suits oneself or the circumstances
(依据状况)放宽规定; 变通; 通融。
We'd be willing to give you a 10% down payment.
大家想先付10%的定金。
And the balance by 90 days L/C?
余额用90天信用证支付吗?
the balance : [sing] remainder of sth after part has already been used, taken, etc 剩余:
* The balance of your order will be supplied when we receive fresh stock.
贵方所订购货物之其余部分, 一俟我方拿货即可提供。
* When will you take the balance of your annual leave? 你计划什么时间用剩余的年假?
yes
是的。
Don't worry. Were only asking for cash this time.
别担忧。大家只不过这次要现金。
Well, I think I have no other choice.
那样,我只好答应了。
Then that's settled.
好,就这么定了。
Yes. I have to admit that you are very astute11.
只好如此啦。我不能不承认你非常精明。
astute : / э'stju:t; US эstu:t; э`stut/ adj clever and quick at seeing how to gain an advantage; shrewd
精明的; 机敏的; 狡诈的:
* an astute lawyer, businessman, judge of character, etc 干练的律师、 精明的商人、 知人之明
* It was an astute move to sell just before prices went down. 正好在价格下跌前脱手, 真是精明之举。
astutely12 adv. astuteness13 n [U].
As this is the first deal between us, I hope we can trade on customary terms, i.e.,letter of credit payable14 against sight draft.
因为这是大家之间进行的第一笔买卖,我非常期望可以遵照惯例,也就是说,用即期信用证付款。
You don't mean to say you want cash, do you?
你不是在说你想要现金吧?
Actually, that's just what I wanted to say.
事实上,这正是我想要说的。
Don't you think a letter of credit is just as good as cash? And you can discount it at any time, if you like.
你不觉得信用证跟现金差不多吗? 而且假如你想,什么时间都是可以贴现的。
The problem, you see, is that we are now at the turn of the century. We're worried about the millennium15 bug16. To be on the safe side, I think cash is the only thing we can accept.
你了解,问题是大家正处在世纪之交,千年虫让大家担心。所以为保险起见,大家只同意现金。
Will you still ask for cash in the future, I mean, after we enter the new century?
以后,我是说进入新世纪将来,你们仍然要现金吗?
I'm sorry. I have to think it over. As you are probably aware, the international money market is not so stable nowadays.
非常抱歉,我得好好考虑一下。你可能有所警觉,目前国际货币市场不太稳定。
Don't you trust me? I believe that our pleasant cooperation over the years has proved us trustworthy partners.
你难道不相信我吗?我相信过去几年的愉快合作已经证明,大家都是值得信任的业务伙伴。
Yes, I know it. But I'm not worrying about your reliability17
这我了解,但我担忧的不是你的信誉
reliability : state or quality of being reliable 靠谱(性); 可信(性)
Let's consider another way, say, letter of credit. Do you think thats acceptable?
那样大家来考虑另一种方法,譬如说信用证,你觉得可以同意吗?
A letter of credit should have been all right. But as you know, interest rates are changing from minute to minute. And we can not be assured that
信用证本来是可以的。但你了解,利率时刻都在变化,不可以保证大家
Then when is the earliest shipment we can expect?
那样最早什么时间可以装运呢?
By the middle of October, I think.
我想要到10月中旬。
It's too late. You see, November is the season for this commodity in our market, and our Customs formalities are rather complicated.
那太迟了。你了解,在大家那儿11月是这个产品上市季节,另外大家的海关手续相当复杂。
I understand.
我了解。
In terms of payment, would you like to accept D/P?
付款方法方面,你想同意付款交单吗?
As I just said, it's a long-distance transportation. I really dont want to take any chances.
我刚刚说过,货物要经过长途运输,我实在不想任何冒险。
You need have no fears about that.
你不需要担忧。
Well, I suppose there is no other choice.
好吧,看来只能如此了。
Now that we've settled the terms of payment, is it possible to effect shipment during September?
大家已经谈妥了付款条件。是不是能在9月份装运?
now conj ~ (that) because of the fact (that) 因为; 既然:
* Now (that) you mention it, I do remember the incident. 经你一提, 我想起那件事了。
* Now you've passed your test you can drive on your own. 你驾驶考试既已合格, 就能一个人开车了。
I don't think we can.
我看不可以。
But we're only talking about shirts. Theyre not fragile goods. Besides, cartons are light and easy to handle.
但大家讲的是衬衫。衬衫不是易碎物品。而且纸箱轻便,容易搬运。
fragile: / 'frжd3ail; US -d3l; `frжd3эl/
Well, I just mean they're easily breakable.
我是说纸箱容易破裂。
There's no need to worry. We can reinforce the cartons with straps18.
这个不需要担忧。大家可以用条带加固。
reinforce : make (sth) stronger by adding material, etc (以添加材料等)加固(某物):
* reinforce the sleeves of a jumper, eg with elbow patches 在套头毛衣肘部加补钉
* reinforce a wall, bridge, dyke19, etc 把墙、 桥、 堤坝等加固。
Look, these goods will have to go a long way before they arrive at our port. What if dampness gets into the package?
但这类货物需要经过长途运输才能抵达我港。包装受潮如何解决?
damp :adj (-er, -est) not completely dry; slightly wet 不完全乾燥的; 潮湿的:
* damp clothes 潮湿的衣服 * a damp surface 潮湿的表面
* Don't sleep between damp sheets. 睡觉时不要用潮湿的被褥。
All the cartons are lined with plastic sheets, so they're absolutely water-proof, I can assure you.
所有纸箱都内衬塑料袋,我可以保证绝对防水。
Most of them do. But the background color should be a little lighter20.
大部分人是的。但底色好象应该再淡一些。
No problem. What do you think of our logo?
好。你感觉大家的标识如何?
logo / 'lэugэu; `lo.go/ n (pl ~s) printed symbol designed for and used by a business, company, etc as its emblem21, eg in advertising22 (企业、公司等的)专用标识, 标记, 商标(如用于广告中的)。
Very good. Maybe you should move it a little closer to the middle.
非常不错。再往中间靠一靠更好一些。
Alright. Do you have anything to say about the outer packaging?
好。外包装怎么样?
You mentioned cartons, didn't you? Im afraid cartons are not strong enough.
你说的是纸箱吧?恐怕纸箱不够结实。
Please don't worry. All the bags are beautifully designed to come in line with the local market preference at your end.
没问题。所有袋子都设计得非常精美,符合你们当地市场的口味。
in line with sth: similar to sth; in accordance with sth 与某事物类似或一致:
* in line with the others/with the latest research 与其他的一致[依据最新的研究成就
Have you got any samples here? I'd prefer to have a look.
这儿有没样品?
Here you are.
请看。
It does look good. Especially the little swan.
确实漂亮。特别是这个小天鹅。
Thank you. We understand that your people regard swans as a symbol of good luck.
多谢。大家听说你们那儿的人把天鹅当成幸运物。 Waterloo bridge : lucky charm
Thank you. Let's call it a deal.
谢谢。那样成交了。
Excellent.
太好了。
Can we discuss the packing today?
大家今天谈一谈包装怎么样?
Sure. We usually pack our skirts inpidually in polythene bags, ten dozen to one carton.
好的。大家的衬衫一般每件单独装一塑料袋,10打装一纸箱。
polythene / 'p) lii:n; `palэin/ n [U] type of plastic widely used in the form of flexible, often transparent25, sheets for waterproof26 packaging, insulation27, etc 聚乙烯:
[attrib 作定语] a polythene bag, cover 聚乙烯塑料袋、 套。
Acceptable. But please pay attention to the design of the inner packing. All the packages must be ready for window display.
好。但请注意内包装的设计,所有些包装都需要适于橱窗展示。
Oh, I'm afraid the price you give is too low. The best I can do is 2%.
哇,恐怕你给的价格太低了。我顶多降价2%.
You say 2% and I say 4%. How about splitting the difference and meeting each other half way? Let's settle at 3%.
你说2%,我说4%,大家来折中一下,双方各让一半如何?就降3%吧。
split the `difference : (when making a bargain) settle on an amount half-way between two proposed amounts (idm )(讲价时)各让一步, 折中。
No. I'm afraid its still not acceptable.
不可以,恐怕我还是不可以同意。
What do you say to 2.5%, then?
2.5%如何?
HmmI appreciate your efforts and sincerity28 in this transaction. As a token of our cooperation, we accept your bid.
噢我很感谢你在这笔买卖中所做的努力和诚意。为表示大家想合作,大家同意你的递价。
token / 'tэukэn; `tokэn/ n
1 sign, symbol or evidence of sth 表徵; 标志; 证据:
* A white flag is used as a token of surrender. 白旗是用作投降的信号。
* These flowers are a small token of my gratitude29. 谨以此花聊表谢忱。
2 disc like a coin used to operate certain machines or as a form of payment (用以启动某些机器或用作付款形式的)代币, 专用辅币: Tokens for the cigarette machine are available at the bar. 在柜台可以买到供自动售烟草机械用的代币。
* milk tokens, ie (in Britain) bought from the milkman and left on the doorstep to pay for the milk delivered 牛奶票(送奶人供应的票证, 购者用以付送奶费, 可置于门外)。
3 (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) voucher30 or coupon31, usu attached to a greetings card, which can be exchanged for goods of the value shown 赠券; 礼券:
* a 10 `book/`record/`gift token 金额10英镑的书券[唱片券/礼券].
in token of sth as evidence of sth 作为某事的证据:
* Please accept this gift in token of our affection for you. 请同意这一礼物, 这是大家微薄的情意。
I'm sorry to say we cant close business at that price. Aren't we old friends?
我非常抱歉,以如此的价格大家没办法成交。大家都是老友了吧!
Well, in view of our good cooperation over the past years, we can take some considerations, but only for this order.
好吧,鉴于大家过去多年的友好合作,大家可以做些考虑,但尽限这批订货。
Then how much can you go down?
那样你能减多少?
1% off the original price.
原价的1%.
1%! Your reduction is too modest. What about 4%?
1%! 你的降价幅度太小了。4%如何?
Other companies are also saying that their products are the best.
别的公司也都说他们的商品是最好的。
Let's meet each other half way. Ill cut another 5%. That's definitely my rock bottom price.
大家来折中一下吧。我再降5%.这肯定是最底价格了。
rock-`bottom n [sing] (used without a/the 不需要a/the) lowest point 最低点:
* Prices have reached rock-bottom. 物价已降低到最低点。
* [attrib 作定语] ,rock-bottom (ie bargain) `prices 最低的价格。
All right. That's settled.
好吧。就这么定了。
Unfortunately your price appears to be higher than ever.
非常遗憾,你的价格比以往都高。
Yes, we know. Because of the price hike in raw materials, we were forced to adjust our prices accordingly.
是的,大家了解。但因为原材料涨价,大家不能不相应调整商品的价格。
hike : (infml 口) rise in prices, cosplayts, etc (价格、 价值等的)提升, 增加:
* The union demands a 7% wage hike. 工会需要提升薪资7%.
Then what's your idea of a good price?
那你感觉多少钱适合?
I would say 20% off the listed price.
标价减20%.
Impossible. We won't make any profit at that price. 10% is the best we can do.
那不可能。如此大家就无钱可赚了。最多降10%.
It's still too high.
还是太高。
Our quality is far beyond comparison. Besides, the market is advancing. Our goods can always find a good sale.
大家的水平是独一无二的。而且行情上涨,大家的货物销路一直非常不错。
We are surprised to find that your price is 25% higher compared with other companies.
发现你们的价格比其他企业的高25%,大家非常吃惊。
25%? You can't be serious!
25%? 你不是开玩笑吧!
That has been confirmed by our survey. I'm afraid Ill have to cancel the deal unless you reduce your price.
大家调查证实过了。恐怕我将不能不取消这笔买卖,除非你降价。
But you know fully23 well that our product is of superior quality. Other products can't be compared with it.
但你非常知道大家的商品水平上乘,其他商品没办法与之相比。
True. But it's also a fact that your price is too high.
是的。但你的价格太高了,这也是一个事实。
But even for such products we have minimum quality requirements that must be met.
即便是这类商品,大家也规定了需要达到的最低水平需要。
Indeed, they are not bad, indeed. Do you do them in any other colours?
确实很好。还有其他颜色吗?
Yes, there is dark blue, light grey, desert tan, all available in a full range of sizes.
有些,还有深蓝、浅灰、土黄 这类颜色尺码都齐全。
range [C] group or series of similar things; selection or variety 成套或成系列的东西; 类型:
* sell/stock a whole range of tools, dresses, foods 供应[备有]各种各样的工具、 服饰、 食品
* The new model comes in an exciting range of colours. 这种新式样有各种鲜艳的颜色。
* have a wide/narrow range of interests, hobbies, etc 兴趣、 喜好等甚广[不广].
The color won't fade, will it?
不会褪色吧?
No, it'll last very well.
不,不会褪色。
If you can produce fashionable styles of such fine quality, your shoes will win great popularity in our market.
假如那样你们能生商品质这么优良款式有新颖的鞋子,它们在大家市场上将会大受青睐。
popularity / .p)pju'lжrэti; .papjэ`lжrэti/ n
[U] quality or state of being liked or admired by many people 受大伙喜欢或赞赏的性质或状况; 普及; 时尚; 通俗性; 声望:
* win/gain/enjoy/command the popularity of the voters 获得广大选民的拥戴
* His popularity among working people remains32 as strong as ever.
他在劳动人民中一如既往声望非常高。
* Her books have grown in popularity recently. 她的书近来大受青睐。
Quality is something we never neglect. Good quality ensures continued sales.
大家一直十分看重水平。产品水平好,才能不断有销路。
Indeed. I see you've got some nice walking shoes too.
确实是。我看你们还有的便鞋也挺很好。
They're remarkably33 comfortable. By the way, Mr. Smith, isnt there room in your market for lower grade shoes?
这种鞋穿着很舒服。顺便问一下,史密斯先生,比较低档的鞋在你们那里有销路吗?
room
~ (for sth) opportunity; scope 机会; 范围:
* There's (plenty of) room for improvement in your work, ie It is not as good as it could be. 你的工作还有(很多)改进的空间。
* There's no room for doubt,ie It is quite certain. 没怀疑的空间。
Even highly demanding markets require a wide range of quality and price levels for any group of products.
即便需要非常高的市场对不同类型的产品,也需要有各种档次的货色和价格。
And durable34 as well.
而且也耐穿。
durable / 'djuэrэbl; US duэrэbl; `durэbl/ adj
lasting35 for a long time 持久的; 耐久的: a durable peace, friendship, settlement 持久的和平、 永恒的友谊、 永久的解决
* trousers made of durable material 耐穿的料子制成的裤子
* This varnish36 provides a durable finish. 这种清漆可作耐久的罩面漆。
durability37 / .djuэrэbilэti; US .durэbilэti; .durэ`bilэti/ n [U].
durables38 n [pl] (also con,sumer `durables)
goods expected to last for a long time after they have been bought, eg vacuum cleaners
耐用品(如吸尘器)。
Oh, durability is not too important nowadays, especially for women's shoes, its a style conscious market.
噢,耐穿在当今年代已经不大要紧了,特别是女鞋,讲究式样翻新。
Yes, we've noticed that.
是的,大家已经注意到了。
Some of your shoes are satisfactory to your domestic market, but they would need to be adapted for the export market or they wouldn't be acceptable.
你们的一些鞋,对你们国内市场来讲是很好的,但作为外销,就要有的改动,要不然,海外不会同意的。
adapt
~ sth (for sth) make sth suitable for a new use, situation, etc; modify sth 使某事物合适于新的作用、 状况等; 修改某事物:
* This machine has been specially24 adapted for use underwater. 这机器是为水下用而特别改装的。 * These styles can be adapted to suit inpidual tastes. 这类式样均可改动以适应个人不一样的喜好。
We can produce shoes modeled after the fashions of different markets or according to buyers' samples.
大家能按不同市场的时尚款式或顾客来样,制作不同款式的鞋子。
Your L/C must be opened at least one month before the time of shipment, otherwise we wouldn't be able to catch the ship.
你方信用证需要在装货前一个月开出,不然大家将赶不上船。
No problem. I'll have the covering L/C opened as soon as I get back.
没问题。我一回去,就立刻安排开立有关信用证。
Fine. I'm very glad our negotiations39 have arrived at a successful conclusion.
好,我非常高兴大家的谈判获得了成功。
Me too. I hope this initial deal will result in further transactions between us.
我也是。我期望这首笔买卖会带来更多的买卖。
result in sth have a specified40 effect or consequence 产生某种用途或结果:
* Our efforts resulted in success/failure. 大家的努力终于成功[失败]了。
* The talks resulted in reducing the number of missiles/missile reduction.
谈判结果削减了导弹数目